Tokyo’s Top 15 Attractions
Tokyo is one of the most alluring places on this planet.
The high energy of the city and its attractions are enough to prompt any world traveler to add Tokyo to their bucket list. When you finally get there, make sure you have a plan in place so you can visit as many of the city’s most significant landmarks and attractions as possible.
To make planning your trip simpler, here are 15 of Tokyo's top attractions to have on your list:
1. Check Out Themed Cafes: Japan is known for its exciting niche cafes. Dine with monkeys or get served by your favorite cartoon characters. If you can fathom it, there's likely a cafe for it.
2. Relax in a Shrine: Not only can you relax in a shrine, but you can spend the night in one too.
3. Attend a Sumo Match: Sumo is an admired sport in Japan. If you can, go to a match or watch the Sumo wrestlers practice in the mornings.
4. Partake in a Tea Ceremony: Tea ceremonies, especially Matcha tea ceremonies, are insanely popular.
5. Go to an Anime Convention: Manga and anime are huge in Japan. On the island of Odaiba from August to December, you can attend the largest convention in the country, Comiket.
6. Shop in Asakusa: The Asakusa District is the best place to find a traditional kimono and to enjoy a little shopping.
7. Sleep at a Ryokan: Staying at one of these inns is one of the most magnificent and intimate ways to experience Japanese hospitality.
8. Experience a Festival: Matsuris (festivals) are extremely exciting and a fantastic way to indulge in the Japanese culture. Enjoy street food, geishas, parades, dancing, music, and lots of bright colors.
9. Soak in Natural Spring Water: An onsen is a natural hot spring that many come to soak and relax in.
10. Visit Izakaya Alleys: Izakaya alleys are Japanese gastropubs where the residents go to have drinks and snacks in the afternoon.
11. Check Out an Art Museum: There are dozens of art museums in Tokyo. Try to visit a few, including the Mori Art Museum.
12. Experience Hanami: It is a tradition to picnic under the cherry blossoms after they bloom in the spring.
13. Wander Through the Sensoji Temple: Nestled in the Asakusa district, the Sensoji Temple is undoubtedly an ancient sight to behold.
14. Enjoy City Views from the Tokyo Tower: Go to the main observation deck of the Tokyo Tower for a breathtaking sight of the city.
15. Join a Mario Kart Race: Go-karting is popular in Tokyo and mainly if it includes dressing up as your favorite Mario character.
Tokyo is a popular port on Japan cruise itineraries, and with so many spectacular places to experience in Tokyo, there's no end to the diversity of adventures to be had.
Curious about cruising in Japan? Check out a sample itinerary.